Monday, September 5, 2011

Dragon*Con Photo Report!!

To be fair, since my attendance at this years Atlanta Dragon*Con was more akin to a traditional family outing (albeit in a sci-fi/fantasy setting), I deferred to the "kids" activity preferences and as a result, didn't end up snapping as many cellphone photos as I may have otherwise. Didn't detract from the level of fun, in fact the four of us had a terrific time at the 25th annual show.

I succeeded in getting autographed photos with the six celebs that I had earmarked for some personal attention. Let me say that as lovely as Tricia Helfer, Eliza Dushu, Elvira and Laura Vandervoort are on television, the small screen really doesn't do them justice. All of these talented ladies are even more beautiful in the flesh. Helfer seems really genuine in person and I'm even more enamored of her after chatting with her at the con. Elvira is just simply awesome, man what a cool lady. Dushku is sweet, but comes across as a bit shy and that's okay; she had heavy security, who knows why? [Psst,  you guys think she heard about my "grabassing" comments?]  Laura Vandervoort possesses an ethereal level of beauty that is just off the charts, plus she's a very nice girl. A killer combo, even if she weren't a good actress. 

As for the gentlemen, what can you say about icons like Ernest Borgnine and Martin Landau? Just look at a sampling of their resumes. Borgnine: From Here to Eternity, Vera Cruz, Bad Day at Black Rock, Marty [Academy Award], McHale's Navy, The Flight of the Phoenix, The Dirty Dozen, Ice Station Zebra, The Wild Bunch, The Poseidon Adventure, The Black Hole, Escape from New York, etc. Landau: North by Northwest, Cleopatra, The Greatest Story Ever Told, Nevada Smith, Mission: Impossible, They Call Me MISTER Tibbs, Space: 1999, Meteor, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, Ed Wood [Academy Award], The Majestic, etc. The great thing about these two fine "old school" actors is that they were both extremely approachable. I really enjoyed speaking with each of them and was grateful for a chance to see them in person. I also finally took the time to grab an autographed photo of veteran actor Edward James Olmos, who is just one of those super-cool guys; so now I've added a nice pic of "Admiral Adama" to my wall. I really miss Battlestar: Galactica on the tube, and Olmos says that he does too.










Enjoy these few shots that I took at Dragon*Con 2011. The two girls in a couple of the photos are my daughters, Ashley & Stacy. My son Ian managed to avoid having his picture taken in Atlanta (darn him), but he was there having a great time along with us. The interior glass elevator photo was taken by me looking up towards the top of the Marriott Marquis, a great building, and only one of the five hotels across which the show spills. Believe me, my bones are aching a bit today from trudging between them yesterday. Enjoy!

 
Powered by Blogger